Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- To Create Useful Links, Think Like A User, Not A Content Producer
Are you letting your users down by focusing too much on attracting links? Columnist Julie Joyce suggests a mode of thinking to help you link more naturally.
- Of Apple, SEO & Why Google Thinks NeXT Is Still Alive
Even the world’s largest and best-known brands can make unconventional (and unproductive) SEO choices. Columnist Chris Liversidge dissects Apple’s handling of NeXT.com.
- Insights Into PPC Traffic From “Sofa Sunday” In The UK
You’ve heard of Black Friday and Cyber Monday, but what about Sofa Sunday? Columnist Rebekah Schelfhout discusses this new mobile shopping trend.
- Bing: Content Quality Is A Primary Ranking Factor Made Up Of Authority, Utility & Presentation
Michael Basilyan, Senior Program Manager from the Bing Content Quality Team, shared a nice set of details on the Bing blog about how Bing’s algorithms determine what makes for content quality. Michael Basilyan explained that content quality is a primary factor in their ranking algorithm, along with topical relevance and context. Michael then went on […]
- From Novelty To Foundational Product: The Evolution Of Google Maps
Until Android came along Google’s most important product after search undoubtedly was Google Maps. I know it sounds heretical to say this but in some ways Maps is more strategic to Google than search today. That’s …read more